Sino ba kasi naka-imbento ng puzzle? Akala ko naman maaaliw ang anak ko sa paglalaro nito, yun pala iiyak lang sya sa dissapointment habang naglulupasay sa sahig kapag hindi niya mabuo ang mga pieces.
Napansin ko na kay Faith ang ganung ugali. Napaka-impatient niya. There are many times na wala siyang tiyaga. Parang ang bilis niyang mapagod. Kapag meron siyang gustong mangyari at hindi nangyari, umiiyak siya at naiinis sa dissapointment. By the way, Faith is our eldest daughter who’s actually turning three this coming May.
Dahil paborito niya ngayon ang ‘Beauty and the Beast’, binilhan namin siya ng puzzle. Habang naglalaro kami kanina, pareho na kaming mainit ang ulo (akalain mong napainit ni Belle ang ulo namin! Hahaha). Mainit ulo niya dahil hindi daw kasya, hindi daw niya mabuo at ginugulo pa sya ng kapatid niyang si Hope. Ako naman, mainit na rin ulo dahil napaka-impatient niya.
Hanggang sa nasigawan ko na siya at ang sabi ko,
“Faith! Why are you so impatient???”
Matapos kong sabihin yan in full volume, narinig ko ang sarili ko. I’m telling Faith to be patient habang ako wala ng pasensya? Ironic!
As I look at her tearful eyes, kasama ang sipon at ang mukhang ‘hopeless’ and ‘helpless’, I suddenly saw myself in her. Why? Because most of the time I can’t even solve my own puzzle.
When things aren’t going my way especially when I can’t connect the dots and the pieces of my life’s puzzle — how do I really respond?
Do I question the One whom I believe is the Author and Designer of my life?
When disappointment comes, nag-iinit ba ang ulo ko? Nabuburyo ba ako?
When God tells me to wait, do I tend to get impatient?
When life becomes tough and difficult things arises, naglulupasay ba ako?
Life is a Puzzle
- Minsan ang complicated especially when we look at certain details. Di natin alam kung saan ba tayo lulugar;
- Minsan (or most of the time) we make stupid choices lalo na’t pag pinipilit natin isiksik ang sarili natin sa hindi naman talaga para sa atin;
- Minsan, we are overwhelmed and tend not to understand why things aren’t suppose to be here and not there, or why should some things aren’t suppose to be there and not here. So, we’ll start comparing our lives and feel pity;
- And mostly, we sometimes feel that we aren’t meant, prepared and are able to face such difficulty in making such puzzle due to certain reasons that pulls us away from not just seeing, but also making the BIG PICTURE.
The puzzle is too big. It’s too grand. It’s too complicated. It’s too hard. Hindi ko keriiiiiiii!!!
And when we’re on the edge of feeling hopeless and helpless ang pinakamadali nalang talagang gawin ay:
- Magreklamo. Life is unfair. God is unfair;
- Umiyak. Mag-emo. Magpakalugmok.
- Magcompromise. Labanan mo yung alam mong tama at gawin mo yung feeling mong mali;
- Manisi. It’s not your fault why you’re in such position in life. It’s them;
- Give-Up. Stop. Quit. Resign. Walk-Out.
Faith is Trust
“Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for,
the conviction of things not seen.”
Hebrews 11:1 ESV
Faith is “believing that God exists”. When the Bible say, “God exists”, it implies certainty. 100% sure ka na hindi lang Siya alive na alive, but He is even watching over you in every season in life. At dahil sure ka, there’s no such thing as impatience in faith. Dahil sa oras na tayo ay nabalisa at nag-worry sa mga challenges sa ating buhay, we are questioning God’s integrity.
Faith simply means trusting God. Yung walang hint ng ng doubt. That more than the fact that He is seated on His throne, and that He is a Holy God— faith is believing that He is actively involved in our every day lives. More than that, it is trusting that He sees the bigger picture. Why? Because at the end of the day, He is the Author of our lives. He is the Maker of everything. He is the beginning and the end.
So, when you’re caught in a puzzling situation sa buhay, what should we do? Let me share three simple things I’ve learned from Faith’s (my daughter) impatience and how is it relevant to our daily lives.
1. When Life’s Puzzle seems too difficult… Enjoy!
That puzzle (Belle from Beauty & the Beast) we bought was meant to be a toy to be enjoyed and not be a source of frustration. That’s the same with life. Nilikha tayo not to suffer and be defeated; You are designed to enjoy not the temporal things but God Himself. As Westminster Short Catechism says, “Man’s chief end is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever.” Enjoy such season. Enjoy the process.
We taught Faith that if the puzzle is too difficult for her, kailangan niya kaming i-involve sa pagbuo niya. And willingly and lovingly as her parents, we will help her and enjoy the moment.
2. When Life’s Puzzle seems too difficult… Seek Help!
May pagka-independent person si Faith because that’s how we raised her. Minsan ayaw niyang tinutulungan siya dahil gusto niya siya ang makakabuo. Pero ang ending, hindi niya ito mabubuo at maiinis lang siya until she realizes that she needs our help.
We all need help. Ika nga, “No man is an Island.” Madami na akong nakitang malulungkot na tao and one thing in common is that they are always alone. We need people and good relationships. Sama-sama nating isawsaw sa suka ang ating mga pride at lunukin natin.
Faith knew that. If she’s desperate, helpless and hopeless, she needs us. The same with all of us.
3. When Life’s Puzzle seems too difficult… Learn!
God is teaching you something important in every season, maybe it’s about:
- Character. Humility? Aminin nalang kasi natin na mahina tayo. Integrity? Sino tayo pag walang naka-tingin sa atin? Boldness? Compassion? Contentment? Honesty? Perseverance? et cetera.
- Attitude. Attitude is an overflow of our hearts. It shows in the way we act. Just like character, nakikita ito at nararamdaman ng mga tao. When faced with trying circumstances, how’s our attitude? Do we exemplify that winning attitude? Understand that inasmuch as nakakahawa ang magandang ugali, mas mabilis makahawa ang bulok na pag-uugali.
- Faith. Yes, it’s our character and attitude towards different circumstances; but most of the time it is because God wants us to learn something about Him. Be sensitive and ask Him what it could be. The next time we encounter the same situation, alam na natin ang ating gagawin. That’s wisdom.
When Life’s puzzle seems too difficult? Enjoy it. Seek help. Learn. Next time alam mo na how to solve that particular puzzle and you’re ready to face another one.